Friday, March 15, 2013

Gross Story

I received a phone call informing me that another orphanage we support has 2 very ill children.  The broken translation suggested that these 2 children were "pooping animals".  I immediately thought they probably have parasites.  This illness is very common in Haiti.  It is severely contagious and needs to be treated immediately.

After a few more phone calls we had a plan.  I spoke with our nurse at Grace Village and asked her to go to the other orphanage, get stool samples, and bring the children to the laboratory.  She sprang into action.  Grabbed her first aid kit and gloves and was ready to go!  She jumped into our truck and our driver brought her to the other orphanage to help out with this medical situation.

In life, we are asked to do things...sometimes we are excited about the opportunity, sometimes we may feel inadequate, and sometimes we may want to run in the other direction.  Today, I was so proud of our staff in the way they helped take care of these 2 children, how they quickly responded, and gave them the medical attention they needed.  Each time I am stretched and challenged, I am reminded of how I am not alone in life's adventure.  I have a mighty God with me through everything.  Even the gross and ugly parts of life.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Kathy. This is Jamie Schumacher at Gertrude's. I've been trying to get a hold of you by phone, but I can't reach you. Could you give me a call? My number is 4714-3312. Thanks. I want to talk with you about bringing Gertrude's kids up for a visit and about how maybe Healing Haiti can help with some new therapy programs going on here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete