Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Treasures?

On April 4th, I flew back to Haiti.  I had been home in Minnesota for Easter.  What a blessing to spend time with my family and friends.  I was even able to surprise my kindergarten teacher colleagues for lunch on April Fool's Day!

As I flew back to Haiti, I remember looking out my plane window over Florida and saw many large homes with pools and hot tubs in their backyard.  I began thinking about how expensive it would be to live a luxurious life and wondered why someone would think they need so many things to live comfortably.  Then, I thought it would be nice to have luxurious things.  It felt like my mind and heart were in a war with one another.  I am being tugged by the Lord, reminded that sharing His love and truth with others is what is the most important.  Worldly possessions are not important.  But then I get greedy and think I would like to have those nice things.  I want to live comfortably, I want to plan, and to save money.  I want to buy nice things, quality things, so they last a lifetime.  Where is the balance?

In Matthew 6:19-21, the Lord says, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.".

I am being challenged to think about what I value.  What do I consider my treasures?  Are my treasures things I can purchase, things that I hold onto in a box, or things that are worth a lot of money?  Or, do I treasure building relationships, time with my family, or sharing the love of Christ with others?  So, often there is pressure from the world on having 'it all'.  To live life to the fullest!  But, then I think if I had everything, and I didn't have Jesus, I would have nothing.  What would life be like without knowing there is a heaven, where I will live for eternity?  Without knowing that I have been created by a King, creator of the all things?  Without knowing that Christ died and rose again for my sins, and the sins of the world?  I am so thankful for knowing that I have a savior that is with me every day...through the good and the bad.  I am so thankful for the grace that He gives me and the unconditional love He provides.    

Below is a picture of the most beautiful rainbow!  It's hard to see in this photo, but it encircles the sun!  When I saw it, I was amazed by it's beauty!  It filled a large expanse in the sky!  It was a reminder to me of all of God's promises and His love for me.  I believe a planet is to the left of the sun too.  Glorious!  

1 comment:

  1. This is such a beautiful photo! The spot is Venus, within about an hour of solar conjunction. We are taught both not to hoard selfishly, nor to foolishly squander our last dollar. Probably the 'balance' has to do with seeking with a loving heart, loving others and ourselves. You continue to inspire me, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete