Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Beautiful Jacmel

I traveled to Jacmel with a friend for a day.  It was so beautiful.  I would love to go back and see more of the countryside.  The road was windy through the mountains and the air was so fresh.  I heard Jacmel has a beautiful waterfall too.  We did not have time to explore, so in the future I will go back for more adventures. 



We stopped at a few roadside markets.  The produce looked delicious.  We purchased some bananas, avocados, grenadas (small fruit used to make juice), and shadaques (fruit like a grapefruit, but very sweet).



I experienced many new things.  I used a machete for the first time.  They are very sharp and dangerous.  I was careful as I chopped down some plantains.  I hope to learn how to make fried plantains.  They are so delicious!


I went to the ocean too.  The beach was sandy and the waves rolled into the shore.  I jumped some of the ocean waves and enjoyed feeling the sand between my toes.


We also stopped by a food stand across the road.  It reminded me of a large old-fashioned wooden lemonade stand.  They had a large bowl of fresh fish and another bowl of beef.  They cooked in a large kettle on a propane powered burner.  We ordered our food and they brought it to a small table next to the ocean for us to eat when it was prepared.  I tried the red snapper (The entire fish was prepared.  Did you notice the fish jaw in the photo?)  It was pretty good, but I preferred to eat the beef.  Our meals came with a spicy cabbage slaw and fried plantains.  What a treat to have fresh food at the shore of the ocean.  Delicious!

Haiti is a beautiful country.  I hope to explore more cities and experience more of Haitian culture.

   


1 comment:

  1. Wow! What beautiful countryside! Such a contrast to Titanyen. I'm so happy you can enjoy seeing more of Haiti.

    ReplyDelete