Saturday, August 4, 2012

Laundry Galore!


I have been adjusting to life in Haiti.  A Haitian friend of mine taught me how to wash by hand.  I have built up a few calluses and my muscles get tired, but I think I am slowly getting the hang of it.  Every 3 days I wash about 25 pieces of clothing.  It takes me about 3 hours.  I'm hoping I will get faster as I get better at hand-washing.  Each time I wash cloths, I bring 2 large tubs to the shower and fill them with cold water (we do not have hot water...there is no electricity during the day).  First, I soak my clothes in the water.  My clothes get very dusty from the powdery dirt that constantly blows.  So, it is crucial to remove as much of the dust as I can before washing.  Otherwise, my water is brown before I start scrubbing.  I sit on a little stool and hold portions of the material as I rub the fabric together.  Then, it's time to wring them out and transfer them to a new bucket of water that also has some laundry detergent.  I again hold the material and rub it forcefully together.  My friend taught me to concentrate on the neckline and armpits of shirts.  That is where the clothing gets the dirtiest.  I have yet to master the "squishing" sound when washing properly.  I hope to hear that sound soon.  Then, I wring them out and put them in a new bucket of water with a little bleach.  I again scrub and rub, wring out, and transfer them to a new bucket of water.  If my water is still bubbly from the soap or smells too much like bleach, I rinse again and wring out.  It is a long process.  It is a true workout.  I then hang my clothes on a clothesline to dry.  They dry quickly (a few hours).  When they are dry I fold them and put them away.  I am so thankful for friends who take the time to teach me how to wash my clothes.  Household chores take time, but it is so wonderful to know that as time goes on, I will get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment