Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Changes in my Role

God is working in a mighty way in Haiti.  Each day, I am learning more about Haitian culture and am experiencing Haiti in a new way.  I am beginning to learn how Haitians live and am starting to speak Creole more.  The Haitians get so excited to hear me talk in Creole.  We laugh when I say things incorrectly, and they help me pronounce new words.  They accept me and think of me as part of their family.  They protect me, they love me, and they laugh with me.  Sometimes, they say, "Ou se Haitian konya.", which means "You are Haitian now".  I am honored to be a part of the community/family of Titanyen.  The elders call me sweetie.  The adults call me professor.  The children call me mother.

My role at Grace Village has been evolving and changing.  I came to Haiti to teach English in the school that is being built.  However, now that I am here, my eyes have been opened to the needs at Grace Village.  I have been stretched and challenged in ways that I never imagined.  Some of you know that I often pass out when I have blood drawn and that I get light headed in hospitals and at the sight of medical related things.  In Haiti, my role has been caring for the medical needs of the children.  This has included hospital visits, holding children as they cry in the dental chair, bandaging wounds, holding children as their blood is drawn for labs, etc.  In my past, these are all things that I couldn't do.    In Haiti, I am called to do these things.  I have been the one who has filled the role in helping with the medical needs.  I am learning each day.  I also wake each morning and pray that God is my strength for that day.  I can't do these medical things on my own.  God uses me to help these children.  At times, the children call me Mis Katy (Nurse Kathy) or Doctor Katy.  As I care for their owie's, I try to give them extra love and attention.  Many of them need hugs or to be held.  Some need to be sang to, others just want me to look at them and say, "Mwen konen ou malad.  Mwen vle ou byen.", which translates into, "I know you don't feel well.  I hope you feel better.".  Sometimes, we are silly together and I make silly faces and they make silly faces and we giggle.  Each moment with the children is so precious.  I enjoy being challenged in my new role of caring for the children's medical needs.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment