Saturday, September 8, 2012

Birthday Celebration

Last night, we all gathered in the Feeding Center (cafeteria) and celebrated 2 birthdays.  What a fun celebration!  The birthday boys stood up in front and shared what they were thankful for in their life.  Both boys thanked Jesus for providing for them and loving them.  We sang songs as one boy played the drum.  He has great rhythm.  Then, the children were asked to share a special story about the boys or a song.  Many children sang a song to the boys.  They took turns singing into the microphone.  We even sang Happy Birthday Haitian style!  We all danced and clapped.  The children love to see me dance.  I dance "the pigeon".  Many of you may know this dance.  I bend my knees and flap them together as I wave my hands in front of them.  They love to dance this dance with me.  Many children have expanded on my dance moves and now move their arms in all kinds of directions as they flap their knees together.  Some children even bend down to the floor as they keep flapping their knees.  This takes much more muscle than I have.  Sometimes, the boys pretend to hold a camera and videotape me dancing.  Sometimes, they pretend to hold a remote control and point it at me to tell me to keep dancing.  We have so much fun!

Before bed, one little girl was crying.  She was sad because she didn't know her birthday.  It broke my heart.  Never in her life has she celebrated a birthday.  There are a few handfuls of children who do not know their birthday.  Hopefully, we will be able to help them find out when their birthday is and celebrate their life with them!  

No comments:

Post a Comment