Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Serving Haiti

Loving the children in Cite Soleil.  We sang songs, talked in Creole, and danced.

What a beautiful week!  God has stretched me and challenged me in many ways.  I often thought, "What is God trying to teach me?".  I was blessed with the opportunity to join the Healing Haiti Team of short-term missionaries from my home church in Minnesota.  In January of 2012, I experienced being a part of one of these teams and the week was life-changing.  During that trip, the Lord called me into ministry in Haiti.
Waiting in line for clean water.



I have so many stories to share.  It was difficult to decide what moments to highlight.  Two days we delivered clean water in Cite Soleil.  Cite Soleil is considered the slums of Haiti and is the poorest part of Haiti.  The adults and children ran after our truck carrying 5 gallon buckets racing to get to the font of the line.  Hundreds of people waited for clean water.  This water is used to cook, do laundry, drink, and bathe.  Water is a source of life and this community depends on it to survive.  




We also went to the Home of Sick and Dying Children.  It is similar to a children's hospital.  It is a new, beautiful facility.  There are about 25 cribs in each room.  Families are encouraged to visit their children every day.  Some families live in the country and it is impossible to get transportation to the hospital.  If families are unable to visit their children, there are many people who care for them.  Their ages range from 3 months to about 8 years old.  

While we were at the hospital we held children, sang to them, and prayed for them.  They are all so precious.  Many of the children have a variety of illnesses, but most are malnourished.  I was so thankful to see the baby (3 months old) I held  3 days ago no longer needed an I.V.  I sat on a stool holding her.  I noticed that a one year old boy (who was so frail he looked as though he was about 12 pounds) had inched his way up the slope in his crib to get as close as he could to me.  He reached between the metal bars of his crib and grabbed my finger.  We made silly faces at each other and made funny noises with our tongues.  We smiled and laughed together.  There was another boy who brought me such sadness.  His crib was in the corner.  He wore a loose fitting top with no pants or diaper.  It looked as though he had burns all over his body.  His hands were bundled and were tied to the edge of the crib.  He whimpered.  Then, would give a loud yell.  When I looked at him and talked in Creole to him he would look at me with the biggest, deep, brown eyes.  I sang to him a lullaby and gently stroked his forehead.  I could see a peace about him.  He was in pain, but needed someone to be next to him.  To be there.  This boy reminded me of the difficult times in life.  Throughout life, there is much heartache and pain.  There is illness and disappointment.  I am so thankful that through all of life's ups and downs I can depend on the Lord.  He is my comfort, my savior, and my peace.  He will never leave me.  No matter what I am going through, the Lord is with me.  He will walk me through the storms of life.  Holding my hand every step of the way.   



No comments:

Post a Comment