Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Contact Lenses

The other night my eyes were so dry that my contact lens flipped out of my eye.  The children were so surprised.  I tried to explain to them I have glasses that I wear on my eyeballs.  They thought this was so strange.  They were curious, yet puzzled.  They wanted to see my contacts.  So, I told them they could watch me take them out in the evening.  It was hilarious!  About 15 children huddled around me as close as they could get and watched me remove my contacts.  In unison, they said, "whoa!" as I took out the first contact.  I explained that the eye doctor gave me a prescription for my eyes.  Instead of wearing glasses, I wear contacts.  They couldn't believe that a little, clear circle was placed on my eye to help me see.  I tried to explain all of this in Creole the best I could.  Later, I saw some of them talking with other children that didn't watch me take out my contacts.  The other children thought I removed my eyeballs when I slept and put them back in each morning.  I explained to them that I did not remove my eyeballs.  I removed my contacts.  Each morning I put new contacts on my eyes.  They were very excited to watch me put my contacts in the next day.  They are intrigued by my contacts.  Throughout the day, they mimic me taking out my contacts and as they pretend to remove them they say, "Bloop, bloop".  They giggle and think it is so funny.

1 comment: