Sunday, November 4, 2012

18 days old

I was told there was an emergency at the gate.  I didn't know what to think and wondered what kind of an emergency.  The security guard came to me with our translator and needed me to follow them to our gate's entrance.  There stood a man with the look of desperation filling his eyes as he held a tiny baby wrapped in blankets. There was a woman with him.  They told me they were the baby's aunt and uncle and that the mother could not care for the baby.  The man tried to give me the baby.  I prayed for wisdom and didn't know what to say or what to do.  I wondered if I held the baby if they would flee.  I stepped back from them and waved my hands in a way that would tell them I would not hold the baby.  (But, I wanted to hold her.) These people were desperate for help.  They didn't have the means to care for the baby that was 18 days old and hoped that I would.



When I saw her, my heart broke.  Her body was frail.  Her skin was thin against her bony limbs.  
As I walked up the hill to our house, I prayed more...and again asked God for wisdom.  Would we be able to care for an infant?  She is so weak and may be in need of an IV or medical attention...would she make it through the night?  Should I turn them away?  If God brought them to our gate, He must know how we can help them.  But how?  What does that look like?  I longed to love her and care for her.  I was ready to take her in.  To stay up with her all night.  To watch over her to be sure that she was still breathing.  Could this be her last night?  If I didn't take her in, would she be cared for at home?  Would she be left on the roadside...to die?  Many thoughts raced through my mind.       


I sent our orphanage director to buy diapers, formula, and bottles.  I asked the family to wait while I made a few phone calls.  They agreed.  They sat patiently for hours as I called a variety of people who could help guide me in making decisions.  I served the family dinner and invited them to our evening church service.  After much prayer, numerous phone calls, and counsel from other orphanages, a decision was made.  We would invite the family back to Grace tomorrow for a meeting to decide how we can be of assistance to this family.  I don't know what the outcome will be, but I need to trust God.  As I looked in the woman's eyes, I saw compassion for the child, I saw a deep love, a desire to hold onto hope, a longing for what is best for this baby.  She agreed to return to our orphanage tomorrow for a meeting.

Proverbs 3:5-6 says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and He will make our paths straight."


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, this is an amazing example of faithful service - sacrificing your weekend plans amidst an already packed schedule and doing for one family what you would do for many - inviting them, feeding them, showing them love, compassion, and giving your heart and resources to their cause, with not a sliver of judgment - and not contingent upon what you get in return. There is most definitely a plan for this family! Thank you for sharing this, and for doing what you can with your gifts to bring that plan into being. Thank you for your obedience, it is a humbling model for us blog followers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, Please keep us posted on this family and how we may pray for them! I am working with HH on the newsletter and we are including a small piece on you and Jessica. Can you tell me how long you plan on being at GV and where in MN you are from?
    Thanks!
    Stephanie Herington

    ReplyDelete