Saturday, November 17, 2012

Bourik! (Donkey!)

What a morning!  I have been wanting to ride a donkey since I moved to Haiti in July.  Well, today I did!  The saddle was hand-made out of wood hammered together.  Padding was placed between the donkey and the saddle.  The padding consisted of some old rags and clothing.  The bridle was made of a thick twine.  There were 2 giant, woven saddle bags that are typically used for produce purchases at the market.

I ventured up a road close to where I live.  The scenery was beautiful.  The mountainside was green.  I passed many people on the side of the road.  Some washed their laundry in large buckets at the well pump.  Others, carried 5 gallon buckets of water on their heads back to their home for cooking, bathing, and cleaning.  Many yelled, "Blan", which means white person as they waved and smiled.  Some giggled as I laughed and greeted them on the donkey.

Some children ran after the donkey to catch up to me.  They encouraged the donkey to keep walking by saying, "Oui" and making a clicking noise with their tongue.  They laughed as the donkey increased in it's pace.  I laughed too.  We all had so much fun.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment