Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Back to Haiti Life

I arrived in Haiti on January 1st.  I found myself talking with customs workers in Creole and even met a famous Haitian body builder on the plane.  I was "home".  I have been trying to get back into Haiti life.  Each day in Haiti is a different day.  I don't have a specific routine that I follow.  Things just come up and I help out.  Every day is an adventure.  I wake up and know that God will prepare me for what happens each day.

Last week, Dr. Sem came to Grace Village and I worked closely with him.  Dr. Sem is a Haitian doctor and speaks English quite well.  We were a great team.  We set up a mini clinic in one of our bedrooms.  We had a little desk for Dr. Sem to take notes in the children's medical files, a bench for the patient, an ear flushing station, and I set up a pharmacy with all of the prescription medications on the bottom bunk bed.  We were ready to see all 56 children.  The children have check-ups quarterly.  


One by one the children came into the "doctor's office".  He checked their eyes, ears, throat, stomach, and skin.  The children shared with him how their health was and he prescribed the needed medications.  I was his secretary/pharmacist.  I handed him the medical files, wrote the ailments and medication dosages in English on additional medical files, filled prescriptions (counted pills and wrote the dosages in Creole on Ziploc baggies), wrote prescriptions, and assisted with any needed minor medical procedures (ear flushings, wound cleanings, etc).  I loved working with Dr. Sem.  He enjoys mentoring me since my background is not in health care.  Who knows, maybe I will decide to go back to school to pursue a future in medicine.  The possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment