Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Minnesota Adventures

What a beautiful Christmas in Minnesota.  I felt like I was in a dream.  I couldn't believe I was really heading home.  I had a lot of time to think on the plane and in Miami when I had a layover.  I knew life in Minnesota was going to be different than life in Haiti.  

I was welcomed by my family and Ken at the airport.  It was strange riding in a car on a smooth road.  In Haiti, the pot holes are like craters and one's body is jostled about in the vehicle as the driver tries to navigate around the huge potholes.  I often found myself comparing my experiences in Haiti with life in Minnesota.  I was amazed to open the refrigerator to find a plethora of food...even milk!  I loved being able to sit on the carpet and play games with my nieces and nephew.  I loved seeing the beautiful Christmas lights and snow (I couldn't believe how cold it was in Minnesota...my teeth were clickity-clacking whenever I went outside, even though I was bundled up.).  I loved baking Christmas treats and eating so many that the children in Haiti said, "Katy, ou gwo! Ou te mange anpil nan Minnesota.  Bondye te beni ou!" (which means, Kathy you are big! You ate a lot in Minnesota! God blessed you!). They view a healthy weight as being blessed by God because God has provided you with food.  I also loved lounging on the couch, talking in English with my family, and relaxing.  My family and Ken took such good care of me while I was home.  I missed my "family" in Haiti, but felt so blessed to spend time in Minnesota and Iowa.  I even enjoyed the luxury of eating dinner at the Olive Garden and Angeno's.  Delicious!

I had time to think about my values and how they are starting to change.  God has been teaching me about the importance of loving your neighbor.  I believe that means loving those around me, my family, my friends, and showing compassion to those who struggle in life.  God has taught me to be a prayer warrior.  To pray all the time.  When someone comes to my mind, I say a prayer for them.  My heart is thankful for the blessings God has shown me.  I want to continue living a life that serves others.  I want to encourage others to live a life that glorifies God.  I want the Lord to continue to shape me in a way that brings Him praise.

Life in Minnesota is so different than in Haiti.  I found myself comparing how I used to live my life in Minnesota to how I live now in Haiti.  Before I moved to Haiti, I was less appreciative for the things I had.  I was a loving person, who trusted God, but also enjoyed buying new things and now realize that I had begun to believe that the things I wanted were the things I needed.  I used to pray, but mostly for things I wanted.  While living in Haiti, God has changed me.  I see the world in a new way.  I know that He will continue to change how I think about things and perceive the world and I am excited to become more like Christ.  He walked the earth and lived among us.  He knows our struggles and He knows sin.  By His blood, I am cleansed.  He died for every one of my selfish desires.  He died for every hurt I have caused.  He died for me...and He died for you.  I am so thankful to have a God that loves me that much.  I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment