Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Roselind and Tiny Baby


Roselind
We traveled to Gertrude’s orphanage today.  Gertrude is an amazing woman who has an orphanage with 46 children.  ⅓ of the children go to school and ⅔ of the children have special needs and do not attend school.  Gertrude (pictured below) is one of the few people in Haiti who loves all children no matter what their abilities.  She values each person as a child of God.  If a family member is unable to care for their child, if the child is abandoned, or if the child’s family is deceased, she helps out.


My heart was so excited to see Roselind today.  I met her in 2009, when I came to Haiti for the first time.  She lives at Gertrude’s orphanage in Port-au-Prince.  She is wheelchair bound and does not speak.  She loves to hold my hand and look into my eyes.

Today I sat next to her and she smiled as she reached out her hand to grab mine.  I said, “Ou sonje mwen?” (which means…do you remember me?).  She smiled as she began shaking my hand and joyfully kicking her legs.  She was filled with excitement.  I started singing a few worship songs in Creole and she continued to smile. 

She is about 16 years old.  I picked her up and carried her to a large mat on the floor.  We sat together as we clapped our hands, smiled at each other, and sang to the worship music my friend played on his guitar.  She had so much joy!  Her joy overflowed from her heart and jumped right into mine.


Tiny Baby
This morning and evening we also went to Sisters of Charity.  It is a hospital for sick and dying children.  Many infants and young children are brought to this hospital by their families for help in nurturing the children back to health.  So many of the children are so malnourished their skin appears to be hanging off of their limbs.  The cribs are lined up in rows.  As I entered one room, I saw infants stretching out their arms to be picked up as they cried.  Sometimes crying from pain, other times crying because they craved to be held and loved, sung to, prayed for, or fed.  The children wore ID bracelets on their legs with their name, age, and date of admission.  It was surprising to read the bracelet and find out that the child was actually 4 when they looked as though they were 18 months. 

I fell in love with a sweet baby.  He was 5 months old.  He was quite malnourished and so cuddly.  I held him and sang to him.  He was quite alert and enjoyed watching me and other people who walked by.  He had an IV in his foot.  He was having trouble keeping his formula down and he spit up on me.  I cleaned him up and changed his clothes and held him longer.  He was so precious.     

No comments:

Post a Comment