Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Baking in Haiti

I love to bake.  Today I was in the mood to make some Christmas treats, but didn't have all the ingredients I needed.  I was talking to my friend Lucette and she said, "Mwen apren fe bon bon".  Which means, "I want to learn how to make treats."  In Haiti, many people cook with coal under a metal structure that holds a large pot or they use a small propane burner.  Therefore, many people do not have ovens.  Lucette told me that she used to have an oven and enjoyed baking cakes for her children.  However, her home collapsed in the 2010 earthquake and her oven was destroyed.

I was thankful to discover that we had all of the ingredients needed to make oatmeal chocolate chip bars.  We gathered the ingredients and set them on the table.  We even had my Creole dictionary on the table so that I could explain how to make them.  Next week, we will make cut-out sugar cookies!  Those are my favorite.  I don't have a rolling pin, but plan to use an empty glass pop bottle.  :)

Lucette was eager to help me.  We measured, stirred, poured, and sang Haitian Christmas.  What a blessing it was to share this experience together.  When the bars were baking she asked me if I could write the recipe in Creole.  She told me she is saving her money so she can buy an oven.  She would love to bake again.  She said she was going to keep the recipe and bake them for her children in the future.  It may take her many years to save enough money for an oven, but I know that she will keep this recipe in a safe place and one day she will make these bars for her family.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment