Monday, December 3, 2012

Better Than Sunset

Yesterday, as the sun was setting, I decided to bring my camera and take a few pictures.  It was breathtaking.  The clouds were beautifully painted with the most vibrant colors with the mountains silhouetted in the distance.  I like to think that God paints us beautiful sunsets each night to remind us to rest in Him and to trust in His promises.  He will continue to be with us each day no matter how difficult or joyful the days are.

As I started walking towards the sunset, a little girl ran up to me with a big smile and grabbed my hand.  She started swinging it playfully and pointed to the sunset and said, "Solèy dòmi, bèl".  Which translates into "The sun is sleeping.  Beautiful."  She had the biggest smile on her face.  I asked her if she wanted to walk with me to take a picture.  She shook her head yes and said, "Wi".  We walked up to the playground and started walking along the edge of the playground and she stopped me.  She turned to me and asked, "Ou chante ak mwen?".  Which means, "Will you sing with me?".  She pulled on my arm to sit down on the cement ledge we had been walking on.  I asked her what song she wanted to sing and her response was "Savior".  The title of the song is "Mighty To Save".  This is a song that the children sing in English during worship time.  The words to this song were so real and meaningful as I sats looking out at the mountains.  We started singing...

Savior, He can move the mountains, 
My God is mighty to save, 
He is mighty to save. 

Forever, Author of salvation, 
He rose and conquered the grave, 
Jesus conquered the grave.  

So take me as You find me,
All my fears and failures, 
Fill my life again.

I give my life to follow
Everything I believe in,
So I surrender.
I surrender

Savior, He can move the mountains,
My God is Mighty to save,
He is mighty to save.
Forever, Author of salvation,
He rose and conquered the grave,
Jesus conquered the grave.

Shine your light and let the whole world see,  
We're singing for the glory of the risen King.


This little girl, had a horrendous past before she came to our orphanage.  What a delight to sing praises to God with her.  He brought her through her hurt.  He saved her.  He is teaching her about His love and she knows Him.  How beautiful it is to know that no matter what, no matter how filthy one's past is, no matter how many times one has felt unwanted or unloved, God has always thought of you as a treasure.  He has loved you just as you are.  He longs to know you more.  This little girl knows that.

We sang holding hands and smiling.  What a gift tonight was.  We never made it to take a picture of the sunset, but the time we shared was so beautiful.  As we walked to dinner, a few girls joined us and held our hands.  One of the little girls asked if I would sing to her and tuck her in tonight.  That made my heart smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment