Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Market Day

What a fun morning!  I walked to the market in Titanyen with Jess and Loucette.  Loucette is a sweet, Haitian lady who works at our house.  We were all so happy to be going to the market together.  I told Loucette that I would need a lot of help making my purchases.  My Creole is getting better, but I still need a lot of help.  She was happy to help and wanted me to get a good deal.  We first stopped at a store to exchange my American money for goudes (photo below).


We walked on bumpy, rocky roads.  Many paths were skinny and I had to be careful where I stepped so that I didn't step on produce, that was so strategically placed and stacked on a tarp, for sale.


I also had to look ahead to duck when people walked toward me with large bags of produce on their head.  I even needed to watch out for fast moving wheel barrels and donkeys so that I was out of their way.  What an adventure!  Here's the parking lot (photo below).  Not a single car.


So many choices!  Farmers came to sell from far away.  Some traveled to the market on their donkey with large sacs full of produce.  I bought a variety of fresh produce:  carrots, green peppers, onions, tomatoes, oranges, avocado's, eggs, watermelon, plantains, and limes.  I found a metal pot that would be good to use for cooking papitas.  We even bought a special slotted spoon made out of a large tomato can to remove the papita from the oil.  What a great way to re-use one's resources.


I am so thankful for my friend, Loucette.  She is a blessing to me.  We had a special morning together.  I can't wait for tomorrow...Loucette is going to teach me how to make papitas!  I even surprised Loucette with a new apron!  I sewed it last night.  She was so thankful.








No comments:

Post a Comment