Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Kwashiorkor

Kwashiorkor is a form of severe malnutrition that affects children living in poverty in tropical parts of the world.  It is caused by a lack of protein in the diet.  It stunts growth and causes children to have bloated bellies and thin arms and legs.

This afternoon, I met a precious 10 month old baby boy who suffers from Kwashiorkor.  His aunt brought him to our gate in hopes that we can take care of him at our orphanage.  His mother died a few months ago from a high fever and his father was shot and killed in a riot a few days ago in Port-au-Prince.

We met with the woman and tried to give the baby some formula.  It was difficult for him to suck.  He was so weak.  He wobbled when he tried to sit up.  He could not stand up in his aunts lap.  His hands and feet were swollen and filled with fluid.  He showed signs of severe malnutrition.  The clinic was closed and we didn't know how we could help this family.

Our pastor was with us and helped translate the conversation.  He asked the woman if she knew Jesus as her personal Savior.  She was desperate to know Him.  She looked as though she was about to cry and asked the pastor to help her pray to accept Jesus.  What a blessing.

We gathered some information about the baby's family and invited the woman to return tomorrow so that we can transport them to the hospital to get the medical attention the baby needs.  We sent her home with diapers, a bottle, pedialyte, dinner, and crackers.  She agreed to return tomorrow and thanked us for helping her.

It was a tough day.  I wish I knew more about helping malnourished children.  I wish I knew how to give infants IV's.  I wish I could take away this baby's pain.  His poor body was so weak.  I wish I could help them more.  But how can I help them?  I am an ordinary person.  But, I know an extraordinary God.  He brought them to our gate for a reason.  I was available to help them the best I knew how.  God has a plan and it is unfolding.  I know that God is faithful and He will provide in all circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment