Monday, July 23, 2012

Bon Nwit Cheri Mwen (Good night My Sweetheart)


Each evening I go to all of the children’s rooms and tuck them in.  I tell each one that I love them in Creole.  I say, “Mwen remen ou.”.  Then I give them each a kiss.  Last night one little girl said to me, “I love you, Jesus”.  It touched my heart.  I was reminded how Jesus tells us to be like Him:  to love the hurting, to comfort the sick, to accept one another.  She is a little girl who needs a lot of comfort.  She enjoys climbing into my lap and resting in my arms.  She is 8 years old, but very small for her age.  She looks as though she is 5 years old.   

I made up a song in Creole that uses a familiar American tune.  At bedtime, I sing “Bon nwit cheri mwen, Bon nwit cheri mwen, Bon nwit cheri mwen, Ke Bondye Beni Ou”.  It translates into “Good night sweatheart, Goodnight Sweetheart, Goodnight sweetheart, May the Lord bless you.”.  Some of the girls ask me to sing it to them each night.  One room of girls asks me to sing it over and over.  They say, “Encore!”.  They now sing with me and asked if I can sing it in English too.  Sometimes we change the words and keep the same tune.  Last night we danced as we sang.  We were smiling and laughing.  What a beautiful evening.

2 comments:

  1. Could you translate "You Are My Sunshine" into Creole or teach them the English? Grandma Bea would love it!!!

    ReplyDelete