Thursday, July 19, 2012

Clinic Visits


This week has been busy with bringing children to the clinic for lab tests and dental work.  No appointment necessary, but you may wait all day in an outdoor waiting room in hopes to see the doctor.  Both days we were able to see the medical professionals we needed, but we were there many long hours.  I was pleasantly surprised at how well the children waited patiently for their turn.  As we waited, I taught them how to play tic-tac-toe and the dot game.  I also used a pad of paper to draw pictures of animals for a small english lesson.  Thankfully, I had packed a backpack with snacks, water, and a few things to do.  The children were brave for their lab tests as their blood was drawn.  Seeing the dentist was terrifying for some.  It is scary for children to see dentists wearing masks and lights on their head to see inside their mouth.  Also, the dentists did not speak Creole, so it was a little tricky finding a translator to help calm their fears.  I held a few in my lap as they had dental work done as they cried and fought the hygienist. My heart broke for them.  Each time I see these children scared, sad, or hurting my heart wants all of their pain to go away.  I love them all so much and don't want to see them hurting.  I try to comfort them the best I can.  One little girl had 2 rotten teeth pulled.  When we returned home, she wanted to curl up in my lap and rest her head on my shoulder.  I gave her some tylenol to help with the pain, but she needed to be held.  I carried her to a cement wall and sat with her as she screamed.  I decided to sing to her.  So, I just started making up a song about her.  I sang some in Creole and some in English.  As soon as I started singing she stopped crying.  She calmed down but still clung to me tightly.  Each day, I want to learn more about these children.  They are so precious.    

No comments:

Post a Comment